Adverse Effects of Probiotics
Adverse effects of probiotics may be associated with supplements. Probiotics is a healthy food choice that incorporates foods that contain naturally occurring micro-organisms. These micro-organisms are highly beneficial to both the digestive system and to the immune system. Probiotics is not a new occurrence. Pobiotic foods are natural whole foods and they have been around in one form or another since time began. All age groups can benefit from incorporating these beneficial bacteria in their diet, from new born children to senior citizens. The beneficial bacteria can help combat certain health difficulties, such as diarrhea or even constipation.
Probiotics supplements do have potential risks as with any other forms of medical care. It is generally accepted by medical practitioners that the most common tablets, powders and capsules of probiotic supplements do not appear to have adverse or dangerous side effects. However, this does not mean that there are no adverse effects at all.
Noted Adverse Side Effects Of Probiotic Supplementation
The supplements have been noted to produce the following side effects in some people.
- Increased production of gas inside the digestive tract or some bloating might happen in some cases. This increased gas production is probably due to an overabundance of the beneficial bacteria inside the digestive tract. This then produces the gases. The bloating may be uncomfortable, but it does not pose a health threat to anyone.
- When a probiotic supplement is used there is a reaction in a very small segment of the population who become more vulnerable to damaging bacteria. In every one million people, only about one person is affected.
- Endocarditis triggered by lactobacilli strains has been reported in a few isolated cases. These cases cannot be used as a general basis for the safety of probiotic supplements since they are too low in number.
- People with very weak immunity systems may have an adverse reaction to probiotic supplements that may cause liver abscesses. Also people who may have undergone major surgical procedures may also be adversely affected for the same reason.
- Sepsis may be a risk factor for patients who have venous catheterizations if a lactobacilli strain thrives unrestricted.
- If traditional treatments and probiotics are used together, it appears that people with pancreatitis are at increased risk for complications.
Adverse Effects of Probiotics: Immunosuppressed
You must speak with your doctor before you start on any probiotic supplementation, especially if you are immuno suppressed. This applies especially to patients who are taking immuno suppressant medicine for other health conditions.
There is nothing to worry about regarding any adverse effects of probiotics by people who are fairly healthy because most often, there are no noticeable adverse effects. Bloating and excess gas are not likely to be issues unless you are sensitive to dairy. Dairy products such as skim milk and cheese usually have added probiotics.
You can always try another kind of probiotic supplement if one form or brand of probiotic supplementation does not work for you. Milk products or yeast-derived probiotic brews (either from water or from milk) and even from kefir are considered supplements.
Adverse Effects of Probiotics
- Yeast-related problems within the human body have been effectively fought off using probiotics. This is especially so with vaginal yeast infections which are frequently experienced by women, and yeast infections in the digestive tract can occur in everyone.
- A link between blood pressure and with dairy products has more recently been observed. Consuming a high volume of yogurt and milk seems to have the effect of lowering blood pressure a little bit.
- Using Yogurt as a source of beneficial microorganisms can also help with weight loss at the same time as helping to maintain a healthy digestive system. This is because of the fat content in yogurt which is a small amount but enough to help trigger a message to the body that it has enough nourishment. It therefore does not need to take in as many calories in the next meal and thus weight reduction can occur.